Victorian Festival of Christmas 2017
November 25th - December 24th
Chair: Kristine Russell - firstname.lastname@example.org - 573-355-1167
Webmaster: Kenna Bogue - email@example.com - 636-385-0643
The goal of the Victorian Festival of Christmas is to attract both locals and visitors to the downtown during the entire holiday season.
11/25: SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY, Lighting Ceremony, "Rock the Sock"- Stocking DECORATING
- November 25th
- Small Business Saturday is the annual event created by the Shop Small movement and American Express. For more information about click here.
- Your mission on Small Business Saturday is to create enticing offers to get shoppers away from the Black Thursday-Friday-Saturday never ending madness. This doesn't necessarily have to be a deal- though that is always a great incentive! You could host a class, live music, open house, give away, etc. Your are only limited by your own imagination here.
- We will be offering a receipt redemption raffle at our "Small Business Saturday"/Horse and Wagon Rides headquarters. Anyone who makes a purchase in downtown (min $5 purchase) is eligible to enter in the receipt redemption raffle. Please consider donating a gift certificate or item to the raffle.
- The Lighting Ceremony will begin at the Mark Twain Boyhood Home with the official lighting at 5pm.
- Stockings will be available to decorate from Paddlewheel Popcorn, Java Jive, and the Mark Twain Boyhood Home. They can be turned in to these locations by Dec 7th and will be voted on December 9th and displayed during Living Windows.
12/2: Jaycees Parade, Elementary Carolers, PICKERS maRKET, etc.
- Elementary Carolers: December 2nd 1-4pm
- Jaycees Parade: December 2nd 6-8pm
- If you are comfortable accommodating carolers in your shop, please indicate so in your form. A map will be provided to the carolers and it is ultimately up to the teachers and parents where the children will carol.
12/9: Living windows, Babes in toyland parade, polar express
- Living Windows: December 9th 5-8pm
- 3rd Annual Babes in Toyland: December 9th 4pm
- Polar Express: December 9th (Times TBA)
- The 3rd Annual Babes in Toyland Parade will precede Living Windows at 4pm. Main Street will close prior to the parade (more details after we get approval from City Council). For more details click here.
- Living Windows: As in the past couple years we will not be judging the Living Windows. It was decided that this event is a cooperative effort by the Merchants to bring the spirit of the holidays downtown and judging took away from that premise. While we will not reveal your Living Window scene, since the big reveal is part of all the fun, please submit your scene to us in your form. The only time we will use this information is to let two businesses know if they are intending on doing the same scene. While you are brainstorming your scenes, we encourage you to reach out to your neighbors. For example, in 2015, the Powder Room, Java Jive, and Mississippi Marketplace all collaborated on their fabulous Whoville. We would love to see more creative collaboration between businesses!
- If you are not intending on living in your window, please consider outsourcing this event to an organization who may have a blast living in your window. The goal is to bring all our windows to life!
- The Polar Express was a smash last year and will be continuing again this year. We are working on improvements with more details coming soon!
12/16: Holiday OPEN HOUSES, House tour
- We are inviting everyone to host Holiday Open Houses on December 16th. These can be simple events; throw out some cookies and holiday treats, play some holiday music, and allow guests to get to know the owner. Consider hosting these in the evening to have the magical effect of Christmas lights!
- We have more events coming on the 16th and 23rd (whoa! we have a whole extra weekend this year!), and will release information as soon as possible! These weekends would be great to fill with individual store events.
12/23: HAT PARADE AND MORE TO COME!
- Whoa! We have a whole extra weekend this year!
- There is the possibility of a fireworks show that evening. More details to come.
- We will be having a Hat Parade to start prior to the firework if that is to happen. If not we still plan on the Hat Parade as a fun event for people coming home for the holiday weekend. We are asking that businesses offer a discount to the Hat Parade participants. This does not have to be a large discount, perhaps a $1.00 of their first drink, just something to get them in your shop! The discount will only be valid for that evening.
Questions, comments, concerns, or ideas?? Please contact Kristine Russell at:
This form must be completed by October 31st, 2017 if you want to be included in the event promotions. NO EXCEPTIONS! We need this information ASAP so we can send information to Hannibal magazine and start promoting the event. Thank you!